High blood pressure diet
If you have high blood pressure it is very crucial to monitor what you eat, eating high blood pressure diet will be an added advantage.
This is because what you put in your stomach has a great effect on your heart and blood pressure.
The more you eat a healthy diet the lower your blood pressure will surely be.
For most people, following good eating habit will help them invalidate the use of medicines.
Even if you are taking medications, eating a high blood pressure diet can reduce the amount you may need.
Monitor what you Eat
Majority of people will just eat and drink whatever they see every day. They are not aware of the number of calories they consumed each day.
Jutting down the kind of food you eat, including the quantity will let you know the truth about the quantity of food you are taken in.
Understand this, you can then lower your calories and quantity in order to lose weight and manage blood pressure.
Beware of taking too much alcohol because it elevates your blood pressure as well.
Do away with sodium(salt)
Consuming a high level of sodium diet increase blood pressure in most people.
In fact, the more salt you eat the higher your blood pressure and the less you eat sodium diet, the better your blood pressure will be.
If you want to reduce the amount of sodium you eat, try these recommendations:
- Go for salt-free seasonings
- Always use food diary so as to monitor the salt in the food you eat.
- Choose food that has 5% or less of sodium daily and do away with food that has 20% or more daily value of sodium.
- Make sure you avoid canned, processed, and fast foods
Understand what you eat
High blood pressure diet should consist of potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
This is because food that contains these components may help to put blood pressure in control.
Vegetables and fruits are rich in magnesium, potassium, and fiber and lower in sodium.
But it will better if you can stick to whole fruits and vegetables, the juice will not really do the work because the fiber has been removed.
You can also go for seeds, legumes, nuts, lean meats and poultry because they are good sources of magnesium.
For you to maximize the number of natural potassium, magnesium, and fiber that you eat, you can pick from the following:
- Beet greens
- Green beans
- Green peas
- Lima beans
- Fat-free yogurt
High blood pressure diet should consist of both Mediterranean diet and DASH diet characteristics.
Mediterranean diet commonly has the following characteristics:
- Low-moderate consumption of dairy products like fish and poultry
- Vegetable, fruits, bread, potatoes, beans, nuts, seeds, and other cereals are highly consumed.
- Olive oil has been a common mono-unsaturated fat source
- A small amount of red meat is eaten.
- Consumption of eggs from zero-four times per week
- Low-moderate consumption of wine.
What is DASH diet
DASH simply means Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.
A study shows that people who use the DASH diet in treating their blood pressure problem do achieve their aim within 2 weeks.
Women who use and monitor DASH diet for years lower their risk of having stroke and coronary artery disease.
If you want to begin the DASH diet, you should try these suggestions:
- Fruits:- 4-5 servings daily (1 medium of fruit,1/2 cup of fresh or frozen fruit,1/4 cup of dried fruit,6 ounces of fruit juice).
- Grains:- 7-8 servings daily (1 slice of bread,1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta,1 ounce of dry cereal).
- Lean meat, fish and poultry:- 2 or fewer servings daily(3 ounces of cooked meat, poultry or fish).
- Low-fat or fat-free dairy products:-2-3 servings daily (8 ounces of milk,1 cup of yogurt,1.5 ounces of cheese).
- Sweets:- Not up to 5 servings weekly (1 tablespoon sugar, jelly or jam).
- Fat and oils:- 2-3 servings daily (1 teaspoon vegetable oil or soft margarine,1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise,2 tablespoons of light salad dressing).
- Nuts, seeds, and legumes:- 4-5 servings weekly (1/3 cup of nuts,2 tablespoons seeds,1/2 cup of cooked dry beans or peas).
conclusion on high blood pressure diet
You can lower your risk of having hypertension and promote good health if you always go for heart-healthy food (high blood pressure diet).
Always talk to your doctor to know which of these high blood pressure diet and the number of calories you will be needed to maintain a good weight. You can also ask your doctor to explain more about the importance of this high blood pressure diet.